Hi Everyone! How have you been? Did you enjoy your Turkey Day with friends and family? Or did you hang out in your room with your favorite homework? Ha-ha I hope not. Just don’t be like me and let your homework sit until you remember you need to finish up at least two tests by a specific date. I think it is in my nature to wait till the last minute and then cram everything in when I am down to the wire. So I was trying to multi task my homework, my blog for work, and also have a mentor meeting via Skype. “Bad Idea” doesn’t do it justice. I was literally talking gibberish! My poor mentor was so confused. There are many people who are great at multitasking but I am definitely not one of those people. So for today I wanted to have a small chat about how to handle multitasking when it comes to medical documentation. In the real world, when you will be doing actual medical documentation, you will have to multitask on a daily basis.
I am pretty sure I will have as many resources as I can possibly have open on my computer as well as my reference books from class, so that I can have every answer I can think of when it comes to talking to patients as well as the doctors. There are so many different scenarios that we may encounter there is no way to be fully prepared except to be confident in our research abilities and knowledge of procedures.
What are some of the best ways that you multitask? Do you always feel like there is never enough time in a day to accomplish all your tasks? This is an everyday thing for me to deal with. I create a list and by the end of the week I always have at least 3 things that I have yet to accomplish. I have never finished one week with nothing left on the list. That is so frustrating! So here are some of my tricks or tips I should say…
- Create your list the week before; do not add to that list at all.
- If you need to add something to do make a separate list that is a standby list for when you finish your current list.
- Set specific alarms to allow a certain amount of time for each task.
- If there is something that I can combine into one task I will condense it in heartbeat. For example I have audio books I use for homework tasks and I have to listen to so many chapters, I will put them on while I finish laundry. While I am folding clothes I will do my small workout too, so I am covering 3 tasks at once. Or if I have to go do errands I will make sure that I have the audio books in my car and can work on that while I am driving. Just finding things I can combine to make the best use out of my time.
- Do not make an unrealistic list. Remember there are only 24 hours in a day.
Hope you have a productive week and I will talk to you all next week.